Home of the Millers


January 30, 2020


If Saturday’s away trip to Sheffield felt like an home game, given the vocal support of Carlton’s travelling army of fans, Wednesday’s 4th round Senior Cup tie at Stoke Lane certainly felt like an away game and of course technically it was!

The Bingham faithful came out in numbers, in support of their table topping team and they looked far from a side a few divisions below Carlton and in fact took best to the heavy conditions following yet another downpour prior to kick off.

Bingham supporters told us that they are using to playing on a heavy pitch and that ours was like Wembley compared to what they are used to playing on.

Their was a minutes silence to remember Matlock Town star Jordan Sinnott who was tragically killed a few days ago.

Long standing Bingham resident and Nottingham Forest Legend Ian Story Moore was among the Bingham supporters in the crowd and was invited into the Millers boardroom at half time, he had spoken brilliantly at Stoke Lane in a fundraiser in 2018 and helped Carlton raise vital funds.

Bingham had a number of players who impressed throughout and it was no real surprise when they took a second half lead through Hodgson, moments earlier Leach had hit Jack Steggles crossbar.

Tommy and Mark responded immediately to the goal with Opoku, Mamoke and Blake all coming off the bench in the last quarter of the game to try and get the equaliser.

Tyler Blake followed up from where he left off from the weekend with that equaliser and only a fine save from Bingham’s excellent young keeper Haywood prevented Opoku winning the game for Carlton in normal time.

Extra time so it was then and with a tough home game coming up against Belper Town on Saturday, it was probably the last thing Carlton needed, but the Millers fitness told in extra time and Akaunu blasted home the winner before Carlton missed a number of chances in extra time to put the game to bed.

Carlton Joint managers both paid tribute to an excellent Bingham side and were delighted with the character shown by their own players in coming back and taking the team into round five.

Both however were left bitterly disappointed by racist remarks allegedly made to Carlton Towns Black players and Brookbanks reported the incidents to the match referee and several Carlton Town players took to Twitter to express their anger and disappointment after the game and this website understands the club are gathering information and checking footage from the game following feedback from their players.

Carlton wil now get to work on their pitch, hope for some dry weather and very much look forward to welcoming Belper Town to the ground on Saturday 3pm.